Monday, July 14, 2008

Fiscal Fast: Day 1

This is my entry for day one of my fiscal fast. Each day I will write about the following topics highlighted in blue

The challenges of getting through the day without spending any money.

The toughest challenge was right at the beginning of the day when I drove back home from the Simonizer. I was really tired and I had to drive 30 miles back home, and I really wanted to stop and get a breakfast taco and coffee. I still made it back home, ate a good breakfast of bread, eggs and a peach, and got by pretty easily after I took a nap.

As estimate of how much money I would have normally spent that day.

Shelter = $13
Food = $4
Gas = $5
Total = $22

An observation (positive or negative) about my fiscal fasting experience that day.

In general it was a very positive day. I made a really good pasta sauce that kept me pleasantly occupied, and I read quite a bit of the Diary of Anne Frank. I feel that the fast will keep my mind thinking of creative ways to be entertained. Since it was the middle of the month I also projected out how much I will spend in the rest of the month. It looks like every category will be significantly lower than normal. Including normal debt payments but not including by Roth IRA and savings, I will spend about $2,000 this month. Really not bad.

No comments: